Congratulations on the addition to your family! After your baby’s arrival, there are a number of things you should do to ensure coverage.
- Adding children to your family is considered a qualified life change event, which means you can make changes to your benefits outside of the annual Open Enrollment period.
- You may add your new eligible dependent(s) to your Palmetto Health medical, dental and vision plans.
Within 30 Days of the Event
- Enroll or change your enrollment by clicking here. Click on Life Event in the middle of the Welcome page and follow the directions. You can also update your beneficiaries for Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance. NOTE: Sorry, you can’t make changes before the event takes place.
- Fax your required paperwork to Trion, Palmetto Health’s benefits administrator, at 800-220-3406.
Regarding the document(s) you will need: Look under the third tab, “Pending Documentation,” for the types of document(s) required. Again, Trion’s fax number is 800-220-3406. If you have any questions regarding the fax or the benefit change, contact Trion at 800-963-3456 or 803-296-8893.
Other Things to Consider
- Prenatal Care.Your Palmetto Health medical plan provides free preventive care. Please review your plan's details for coverage information.
- Time Off. Short-term disability coverage is provided through Cigna.
- Give Your Baby a Healthy Start. Palmetto Healthy Start is a free program for pregnant teens in Richland County and women living in Lexington or Sumter counties. Through the program, moms-to-be are encouraged to begin prenatal care as soon as they become pregnant. Our team will support you throughout your pregnancy and through your child's second birthday. For more information, contact Palmetto Healthy Start at 803-296-3780 or 888-788-4367.
- Don’t Forget Your Smile. According to Delta Dental, “there may be a link between untreated gum disease and preterm births or babies born at lower weights. To avoid the risk of spreading infections through your body, be sure to get treatment for cavities and/or other emergency dental work.” Learn more from Delta Dental.
- Increase Your Tax Withholding. If you would like to increase the number of allowances you take on your W-2, please submit an updated W-4 form.
- Add Supplemental Dependent Life Coverage. You can make changes as you update your coverages.
- Get help with the “baby blues.” Don’t suffer in silence. Palmetto Health’s E-CARE program provides counseling services for team members. Call 803-296-5879 (Baptist), 803-296-5879 (Baptist Parkridge), 803-434-2767 (Richland) or 803-774-8759 (Tuomey) to obtain more information.