Palmetto Health offers one of the finest residency programs in the area. Residents are provided medical, dental and vision benefits, as well as access to a host of other programs, including the following:
- Palmetto Health provides at no cost to residents the courses required for a particular program, such as the BLS, FCCS, ACLS, ATLS, NRP and PALS.
- The South Carolina Medical Association provides membership to each resident.
- After the initial year, limited medical license application fees ($150) are paid by Palmetto Health. Limited medical license renewal fees ($150) continue to be paid by Palmetto Health throughout residency/fellowship.
- Those residents/fellows interested in obtaining a S.C. permanently endorsed medical license will pay all fees and Palmetto Health will reimburse $150 each academic year toward the biennial (2 year) license.
- S.C. permanently endorsed medical license renewal fees ($155 biennially) will be paid by Palmetto Health throughout residency/fellowship.
- Narcotics registrations (State DEA $125 – for one year period) will be paid by Palmetto Health for medical residents each year throughout residency/fellowship.
- Narcotics registrations (Federal DEA $731 – for three-year period) will be paid upfront by Palmetto Health for medical residents but prorated based on expiration and graduation dates; unexpired portion of registration fee will be deducted from final resident check.
- USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Step 3 – Up to $700 reimbursement for exam fees are paid by Palmetto Health (one time only).
- Travel expenses are paid at the discretion of the individual program. Travel allowances are provided for presenting at professional meetings, up to $500.
- Social events outside the hospital setting are arranged to help acquaint residents with each other and the Columbia area. Activities and seasonal functions organized by the Palmetto Health Resident Auxiliary are organized throughout the year.
- Meals in Palmetto Health cafeteria while on duty ($4.54 per meal period in 2017); discounts any other time.
- Allowance for journals, books and/or software.
- Up to four lab coats−cleaning provided.
- Health services, including vaccinations provided at HealthWorks.
- Parking in designated areas.
- Discounts available on pharmaceuticals, retail sales, area theaters, Riverbanks Zoo, recreational parks, selected fitness centers.
- Confidential counseling, assessment, referral and education are provided by E-CARE of Palmetto Health; first five appointments each calendar year are provided at no cost to resident and members of their immediate family.
- Free membership to Solomon Blatt Physical Education Center and discounted membership to Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center, both USC Health and Fitness facilities. There is a $13 per pay period fee to access Y-Express sites at Palmetto Health Richland and Baptist campuses as well as the Downtown YMCA.
- Numerous other discounts are available through Palmetto Health’s Team Member Discount Advantage program, through which team members receive discounts from area retailers. Available with hospital ID badge.
*These are current resident benefits. Benefits are subject to change